Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Interview with Meredith Allard. Review for Her Loving husband's curse #2 in The Loving Husband Trilogy.


Meredith Allard
Author’s Interview Questions
     
     1.     Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile, silly I know but the idea unsettles me. (a)Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

To my family and friends I’m just Meredith so I don’t get introduced at “My daughter the writer.” When people ask me what I do, and I tell them I’m a writer, they don’t seem overawed, which is good because if I ever were asked the question about being famous, I would respond exactly as you do!

     2.     In general do you like to talk about you writing and published books or are you very close-lip about it? If no why?

It depends on who I’m talking to. If I’m talking to other writers or readers, I can talk about my books until the cows come home. When people contact me with questions, I’m more than happy to answer any and all questions about writing and my books (as evidenced here today).

In my day to day life, though, I have to say I’m pretty closed lipped about being a writer. At my day job, I don’t mention it at all. One of the things I’ve learned is that people aren’t always happy for you when success happens. I’ve had to learn that those reactions are more about them than about me.

      3.     What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?

My newest novel, That You Are Here, has just been released. It’s a very different style of story for me. No vampires in that one. It’s a love story, which shouldn’t be too much of a surprise to readers of The Loving Husband Trilogy, but it’s set completely in the present day, which is different for me.

Now that That You Are Here is out in the world, I’m focusing on my next novel, which is a combination of my love for Dickens, my interest in Victorian London, and my fascination with Downton Abbey. No vampires in that one either. At least I don’t think so.

     4.     Why this particular genre?

Genre is an interesting question for me because I write in many different genres. The Loving Husband Trilogy is paranormal and historical. I have three other novels that are historical fiction, and That You Are Here is completely contemporary. The truth is I write whatever interests me at the time, and my interests are varied, so I end up writing in many different genres about many different topics.



      5.     What inspire or motivate you to write?

I’m inspired by so many different things. Sometimes I’m inspired by books I read. Sometimes I’m inspired by television shows or movies. Sometimes it’s just a passing fancy. I’ve learned to pay attention to the motivation because there may be a novel in there somewhere.

     6.     What is the writing process like for you?

I write at my desk in my apartment in the afternoons. I have a day job, so I usually get to my desk around 4 p.m., and I work until 8 p.m. My process is I procrastinate as long as I can on my social media pages on Twitter, Facebook, Google +, and my favorite, Pinterest. Then I procrastinate looking for something to watch on TV. Then I procrastinate by checking my e-mail. Then I procrastinate by feeding the cats. At some point in the process I do finally start writing. When I’m writing a first draft I type 1500 words a day (I used the word type on purpose since I’m not writing anything worth anything then). When I’m into the second and later drafts I get to work a little more readily since I have a stronger sense of what I’m doing.

     7.     How did/do you teach yourself to write?

I was an English major in college, so that gave me a firm groundwork to start with. I took a lot of creative writing classes. Then it took a lot of years of trial and error finding a style, a voice that suited me. I also teach writing, and every time I teach writing I learn something new myself. I’m still learning how to be a better writer. I think that’s something you never stop learning.

     8.     What aspect of the craft do you think is most difficult to learn?

For me, finding my own voice was hard. I had these writers I loved like Charles Dickens and Toni Morrison and I wanted to write like them, but I’d make a second-rate Dickens and a particularly lousy Morrison. I had to learn how to take the aspects of their styles that I loved and incorporate it into my own way of speaking on paper.


     9.     What has been the most encouraging comment someone has made about your writing?

There have been too many to name. I have been genuinely blessed in the way my books have been received by readers. I know my books aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but there are readers who really get the stories, and I’m so grateful.

When Her Dear & Loving Husband, Book One in the Loving Husband Trilogy, was first published, I was amazed by some of the four and five star reviews that were out there. I couldn’t believe people would say such nice things about my book. That was definitely encouraging. It helped me realize I was on the right track writing down these crazy story ideas that occurred to me.

     10.  What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer? 

     I love that quote from Dorothy Parker, something along the lines of “I hate writing. I love having written.” Writing is the best and the worst part of being a writer. It takes a lot of effort for me to get the words on the page in a way I’m happy with. I can see the story so clearly in my head, and it’s always a challenge to get the words on the page to match the movie I see behind my eyes.

     11.   Any advice for struggling writers?
           
The best advice is to write. I know it sounds obvious, but one thing I found from being a writing teacher is that people love to talk about writing, but they don’t often sit down and write. The only way to grow as a writer is to put words onto paper, every day if you can.

     12.  What is your favorite genre to read or write?
           
       I love to read historical fiction, and I mostly write historical fiction as well.

     13.  Favorite author?
           
Charles Dickens. I started writing novels after I read David Copperfield and Great Expectations.

                                                             

      14.  What did you do before you became a writer? 

      I was a teacher, and I’m still a teacher today. I love teaching and I’m lucky I get to do the two things I love most—writing and teaching.

                                                       
     
      15.  Was it a life long dream or triggered recently? 

       I knew from the fourth grade that I wanted to be a teacher, so it was definitely a lifelong dream.

      16.   Do you have a bucket/ to-do list and would you share at least two things on it? 
      I’ve never been the bucket list type. I take each day as it comes. My main goal is to write as many books as I can before my time is up. I interviewed the master historical novelist John Jakes years ago, and I remember when he said there’s never enough time to write all the books you want to write. I believe that’s true.

     17. Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?

      I’m not a particularly adventurous person, I’m afraid. I think that’s why I love writing fiction so much. When I’m writing stories I can do things and go places I wouldn’t dare in real life.

                                                            

      18.   This or that questions:
        ·        Coffee or Tea – I love both, but most days it’s coffee.
        ·        Sweet or savory – Definitely sweet. I have a powerful sweet tooth.
        ·        Home make meal or takeouts – I do love to cook, so I’m always looking for     new recipes for homemade meals.
        ·        Winter or summer – Summer. I love the sunshine.
        ·        Night owl or Early Bird – I’m a night owl, and I have yet to make peace with having to wake up early (meaning before 10 a.m.) in the morning. 
        ·        Telephone or visits – Visits. I have a hearing loss and hate talking on the phone.
        ·        Which social network do you prefer? Love me some Pinterest. I could pin all day if I had the time. That’s where I find a lot of my recipes (see #3).
        ·        Blogger or website? Blog. I love the flexibility it allows me.
        ·        What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless.    Mainly supportive, though oddly most of them haven’t read my books!

And Finally
Moto/wisdom in life you live by. 

I love this from Marianne Williamson. It’s a lesson I’m still learning.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?
                        ~Marianne Williamson

Contact details and buy links of the newest books you would

like the readers to know.


Her Loving Husband’s Curse and the entire Loving Husband Trilogy are available at:

Amazon / BN / iTunes





About the book

How far will you go to protect the one you love?

Finally, after many long and lonely years, James Wentworth’s life is falling into place. Together with his wife, Sarah, the only woman he has ever loved, he has found the meaning behind her nightmares about the Salem Witch Trials, and now they are rebuilding the life they began together so long ago.

But the past is never far behind for the Wentworths. While Sarah is haunted by new visions, now about the baby she carried over three hundred years before, James is confronted with painful memories from his time with the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears. Through it all, the persistent reporter Kenneth Hempel reappears, still determined to prove that the undead walk the earth. If Hempel succeeds in his quest, James and Sarah will suffer. Will the curse of the vampire prevent James and Sarah from living their happily ever after?

Her Loving Husband’s Curse is Book Two of the Loving Husband Trilogy. Book One, Her Dear & Loving Husband, is now available from Copperfield Press.


My 5 Star review

I received the book from the touring host for an honest review. 

Her Loving Husband's Curse is the second book in the Trilogy, and I was fortunate to read the first as well. Book 2 continues a year later as the lives of James and Sarah comes more under the spotlight; now married and trying to make a normal life for themselves. 

In book 1 we met them as single people, both searching for something they could only find with each other. As Sarah's dreams led them towards each other, secrets and mysteries unfolded that made that book an amazing read. Sarah was led to the town of Salem where she discovered she had a husband and was pregnant. But the biggest shock had been that she was hanged as a witch during the Witch hunt of 1692. 

James, her husband, now vampire waited for her for over three hundred years to return to him. A very unique love story that takes you back to that horrific time in history.

Now they were ready to move on as a 'normal' couple but once again dreams terrified Sarah with no idea of what it meant. James had more secrets that he kept from her, all to protect her from his curse. The more things unruffled in the book, the more he cursed the life he was leading, not willing that his family would suffer from the curse. 

In this book the focus was on the Trails of Tears and what the Cherokee people endured during that time in history. It was a very emotional and horrific time; the author had woven it into the story brilliantly; helping you to understand what they'd experienced on that three month long road where loved ones were left dead, with barely enough water or food to survive the harsh conditions.

We met many of the previous characters in this book once again, with a few new ones to add more twists in the tale. Kenneth Hempel is back of course, determined to expose the vampire community to the world through his blog. With more focus on James as he tries to avoid the frenzy he knew would follow. With Hempel's death it just exhilarated. 

As with all myths there is pro and cons of why we need to know the truth and people's reactions remained the same; if it were during the Witch trails or the Trails of Tears, people's attitudes never changed; I think the author did a wonderful work highlighting this fact.
Once again I was touched by the author's compassionate writing as she wrote this book with the high and lows of humanity and how we react to the unfamiliar, and I was not disappointed at all. The emotional roller coaster as James searched for answers to protect the woman he loves with all his 'heart'. His devotion to Sarah was astounding, his love visible in every word and touch. 

Both the characters have grown in their relationship with each other, both looking for more in life, ready to settle and have a family; each established in their careers. When the parenting question came to light, you knew more twist will follow. Once again the author took the paranormal further but yet kept it realistic and believable. 
I think it's a great edition to this series and I cannot wait to start with book 3.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part in the tour and hosting Meredith. I'm glad you loved 'Her Loving Husbands Curse'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked Her Loving Husband's Curse, Lynelle. Thank you for the wonderful review, and thank you for posting the interview. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to have you on my blog Meredith. Yes it was fun!!

      Delete

Book Review: Juror Number Ten by Caroline Taylor

Genre: Thriller/romantic suspense Bio:  Caroline Taylor is a novelist and short-story writer who grew up in the mountain west and traveled...